After getting involved in a car accident, you may be eligible to file a car accident claim against the party responsible for causing the accident (assuming it was not you who caused the accident). However, there are a few things that you should do right after the accident, to ensure that your claim will be successful later on:
- Call 911
- Talk to the police officer
- Visit the hospital for treatment
- Call your attorney
Once you complete these simple yet essential steps, you will be able to file a claim with the “highest chances” of success. To file a claim, all you have to do is consult with one of our Car Accident Attorneys in Pittsburgh, schedule a free consultation and learn about your legal rights and options. Once you file a claim, you will start the process with the goal of getting compensation for your injuries. Normally, you could expect to receive the following:
- Compensation for your medical bills
- Compensation for your property damage (car repairs)
- Compensation for your lost wages
- Compensation for your pain and suffering
You will be asked certain questions at some point. Here are the questions that you will have to answer in a car accident claim.
The most common questions about your personal background will include:
- Your name
- Your address
- Your number
- Your date of birth
- Your residential address for the past 10 years
- Your educational background (schools and degrees, education and training which you have received since you left or finished school)
- Your family background: their marital status, the number of children that they have, their living situation and conditions
- Your health and medical background (including other injuries and health issues that you had before the accident, other injuries and health issues that you have experienced since the accident, any chronic health problems)
- Your employment background
- Your criminal background
- Your injury/civil claims background
Be sure to have enough time to answer all the questions, and prepare the paperwork in advance.
How The Accident Happened
You will have to testify your part of the story, and answer the usual questions about the accident:
- Time and date, day of the week and location of the accident
- Where were you going and coming from?
- What were the weather conditions?
- What were the traffic conditions?
- What did each driver do and when?
- How fast were you going?
- Where did the cars come tor est?
- How fast was the other car going?
- Where did the collision happen?
- How far was the other car from you when you first saw it?
- Where there other cars on the roadway?
If you do not know a specific answer, do not guess. Just say that you do not remember the details.
The Questions About Your Injuries and Treatment
Finally, you will be asked questions about your injuries and treatment, which may include:
- What injuries did you suffer from the accident, and what injuries did you claim?
- Did you have any health conditions before the accident?
- What symptoms did you have at the scene of the accident?
- What symptoms did you develop since the accident?
- When did you first get medical assistance after the accident?
- How much have you incurred in medical bills (so far)?
- Have you missed any time from work as a result of the accident? How much, when and what amount of lost income are you claiming?
These are the most common questions that you will have to answer after an accident. Be sure to consult with Pittsburgh Personal Injury Attorneys as soon as you can following an accident, and they will help you file a claim, and prepare you for what comes next.